Fire engulfs Laval greenhouse complex
February 22, 2019 By CBC News
A massive fire ripped through a family-owned greenhouse complex in Laval early Tuesday.
The fire broke out around 4 a.m. at Serres Sylvain Cleroux Inc. The business was closed when the fire started and there was no one inside.
One roof collapsed as the fire completely destroyed two buildings and continued to burn well into the morning.
Jean-Sebastien Roch, a division chief with the fire department, said it is too early to know how the fire started. Firefighters suspect propane tanks may have exploded.
The company recently planted its newest crop and crews were scrambling to get the heat up and running again or face a loss of up to $3 million in plants alone.
The complex employs some 200 workers, many from Mexico and Guatemala. It is unclear if the workers will keep their jobs. | READ MORE
Print this page