This is a common mistake made by people who either don't know or just don't care. And it could be costing them business. Here are five tips to having a voicemail greeting that helps you sound professional even when you're not around:
- Smile while recording your message. When you smile, the inflection in your voice changes, making you sound warmer and more relaxed.
- Clearly identify both yourself and the name of your company at the start of the greeting.
- Record your greeting in a quite place to avoid excess background noise.
- Inform callers if you're out of the office for an extended period of time so they won't think you're lousy at returning calls.
- When possible, give alternative ways to reach you - perhaps another number or email address.