Guided bus tour of California Spring Trials
January 4, 2013 By Dr. Mark Bridgen Cornell University
Jan. 4, 2012 — A guided bus tour of the California Spring Trials,
formerly called the “California Pack Trials,” is now accepting
Jan. 4, 2012 — A guided bus tour of the California Spring Trials, formerly called the “California Pack Trials,” is now accepting registrations.
With more than 17 locations scattered throughout California, guests can visit each of the major horticultural companies that distribute plant materials and supplies and get a first-hand look at the products and new varieties that are available to the floriculture industry.
This excursion is designed specifically for members of the greenhouse and floriculture industry, other horticulture professionals, and academics.
This tour of several of the main stops along the route is being organized by floriculturists Dr. Mark Bridgen and Dr. Neil Mattson of Cornell University, and Dr. Roberto Lopez of Purdue University.
Previous trips have always been a huge success and a lot of fun! This guided excursion is an intense, educational, and very entertaining way to view several Trials locations. It allows attendees the convenience of not having to arrange for their own stops, hotels and transportation.
THREE DAYS OF TOURING
The itinerary is jam-packed with three full days of tours with the days beginning early and continuing at a fast pace late into the evening.
• Attendees should plan to arrive at the San Jose Airport on Friday, April 5, and will stay at the Holiday Inn San Jose near the airport.
• The journey begins on Saturday morning, April 6, when the bus departs from the hotel. That first day, the group will visit Proven Winners, Syngenta Flowers, Sakata Seed, and Speedling (this stop includes: ABZ Seeds, Greenex USA, Inc., Hem Genetics, Plant Source International, Inc., Thompson & Morgan, and Vista Farms).
Participants will stay in the Holiday Inn Express Salinas on Saturday night.
• Sunday, April 7, will be a busy day with visits to Dümmen U.S.A., Inc., Ball Horticultural Co, Skagit Gardens, Fides/Oro and Ecke, including a stop at Pismo Beach.
That night will be spent at the Crowne Plaza Ventura.
• Monday, April 8, begins with a visit to Skagit Gardens, GroLink Plant Co., and Fides/Oro, which will include Ecke. There is also a stop at Stonehaus Winery during the ride to Hollywood.
Overnight accommodations will be at the Ramada Plaza West Hollywood.
• On Tuesday, April 9, Super Shuttle will provide the transportation to either the Los Angeles Airport or Burbank Airport where participants may return home or travel on their own to other locations (flight itineraries need to be provided to Travel Concepts to confirm pick up).
This package trip includes the cost of first class hotel accommodations for four nights from April 5-8, bus transportation from San Jose Airport on the first day and from West Hollywood to LAX or Burbank Airport on the last day, breakfasts and lunches on travel days, a wine tasting, and three experienced horticultural guides.
Participants need to arrange their own transportation into San Jose on April 5 and out of LAX or Burbank Airport on April 9, and cover their own dinner costs. A travel agency is available to assist with these reservations (see the website listed below).
The cost of the bus trip will be $690 per person in a double room (we will help you to find roommates if needed) or $995 per person for a single room. These rates are based on 40 participants and will be adjusted slightly if minimum capacity is not met.
The trip is subject to change and may be cancelled if minimum capacity is not met.
SPACE IS LIMITED
Register by Feb. 28 to reserve a seat on this trip. For online reservation, go to www.concepts.us.com and click on Event Registration at the bottom left of the site. Be sure to go to the site labelled: Greenhouse Growers Spring Trials 2013.
• If you have registration questions, call Denise at 203-262-6260 or 1-800-274-5801.
• If you have questions about details of the trip, contact Dr. Mark Bridgen at email@example.com or at 631-727-3595.
Print this page