Seeking Green for Life Award nominations
July 11, 2009 By Landscape Ontario
July 11, 2009, Toronto – The inaugural Green for Life Award will be
celebrated on Tuesday, Oct. 20, at the 10th Anniversary Garden Party of
Garden & Floral Expo.
July 11, 2009, Toronto – The inaugural Green for Life Award will be celebrated on Tuesday, Oct. 20, at the 10th Anniversary Garden Party of Garden & Floral Expo.
The Green for Life Award promotes, recognizes and rewards environmentally responsible retailers and growers in the horticulture and floriculture industries.
Part of Landscape Ontario's public mission, Green for Life promotes the joys and benefits of plants and green spaces. The new award program is open to retailers, wholesalers, and growers across Canada. It is designed to raise awareness and recognize those in the grower and garden centre sectors whose actions demonstrate continuous improvement in environmental stewardship, including responsible environmental practices in the management and operations of these businesses.
Strategies for successful environmental stewardship are detailed in the Environmental Scorecard, a self-evaluation tool developed by Landscape Ontario's Environmental Stewardship Committee. By completing the Scorecard, companies get a snapshot of their environmental scores, and a blueprint for
progress. Now, they are also are automatically entered into the Green for Life Awards.
Entries are open for the Green for Life Awards. Green industry members can now take part in a short self-assessment survey to see how their environmental practices measure up.
Participants who complete their scorecards by October 1, 2009 will receive a graded report and be eligible to win one of three $500 cash prizes courtesy of Turf Revolution, a manufacturer of 100% organic and natural turf and horticultural products.
"The Green for Life Awards program is a key element of the green industry to celebrate accomplishments, recognize leadership and create the foundation for future successes." said Tammy Lawrence, president, Turf Revolution.
Garden & Floral Expo takes place at the Toronto Congress Centre on Oct. 20-21, 2009. All participants are invited to the 10th Anniversary Garden Party in the Sutherland Room at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20th where the "Green for Life" winners will be announced.
About Garden & Floral Expo, Landscape Ontario and strategic partners:
• Garden & Floral Expo is Canada's fall buying show for the green and floral industries. Over 3,400 buyers will attend the expo, which showcases new products, recent plant and floral introductions and product demonstrations.
• Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association , one of the most vibrant associations of its kind, is comprised of over 2,000 members, ten sector groups and nine local chapters. Its trade mission is to promote the horticulture industry in Ontario, and its public mission, Green for Life, promotes the joys and benefits of plants and green spaces.
• Master Gardeners of Ontario is dedicated to providing horticultural information to the public. It began in 1985 as a program of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) but it is now an independent nonprofit charity. <
• The University of Guelph is a world leader in horticultural research.
• Flowers Canada (Ontario) Inc. is a not-for-profit organization that works with Flowers Canada Growers to care for the provincial and federal issues facing Ontario floriculture producers. The Ontario floriculture industry represents 54.5% of the total floriculture sector in Canada, generates $784.8 million in sales each year and has an estimated total economic impact of $2.88 billion every year.
Print this page