Ontario conducts proactive workplace inspections
April 28, 2020 By Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
The Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development will conduct proactive workplace inspections focusing on workplaces that employ temporary foreign agricultural workers across Ontario. This province-wide initiative began April 21, 2020 and will focus on workplaces in the farming and agricultural sectors where temporary foreign agricultural workers are known to work.
During this initiative, MLTSD Inspectors will continue to enforce the OHSA and its regulations, including but not limited to the following:
- Farming Operations Reg. 414/05
- Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training, Reg. 297/13
- Emergency Orders made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA)
Inspectors will focus on the following:
- How many workers are working
- What screening the employer has in place to prevent workers who may have COVID-19 from coming to work
- Policies and procedures are in place to ensure that workers with symptoms of COVID-19 are not coming to work.
- How the employer is ensuring physical distancing (a 2m separation) between workers
- How the employer is ensuring proper onsite hygiene
- Other precautions including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
More information can be found through our health and safety partner, Workplace Safety & Prevention Services, at www.wsps.ca
Print this page