The events have been organized by Cleanfarms, a Canadian non-profit organization that delivers recycling and disposal solutions that help farmers and their communities safely manage farm waste.
Collection events are scheduled in the following locations:
October 15 –
- Vanderhoof – Glen Dale Agra, 1055 Hwy 16 West
- Kamloops – Purity Feed Ltd., 471 Okanagan Way
- Prince George – Foothills Landfill, 6595 Foothills Blvd.
- Vernon – Grower's Supply, 1200 Waddington Drive
- Quesnel – Four Rivers Co-op, 1280 Quesnel-Hixon Road
- Kelowna – Grower's Supply, 2605 Acland Road
- William's Lake – 153 Mile Fertilizer, #80 5101 Frizzi Road
- Oliver – Grower's Supply, 5911 Sawmill Road
- Cranbrook – Top Garden, 2101 Cranbrook Street North
- Creston – Grower's Supply, 754 35th Ave., South
October 22 –
- Vauxhall – South Country Co-op, 205 1st Ave.
- NorthHanna – Fox Lake Agro Services, 305 South Municipal Road
- Olds – Richardson Pioneer, 1.5 km North of Olds, Hwy 2A
- Claresholm – South Country Co-op, 4123 3rd Street, East
- Cardston – Cardston County Admin. Bldg., 1080 Main Street
- Oyen – Richardson Pioneer, Township Road 280
- Foremost – W. Buis Holdings Ltd., 199 1st Ave., West
- Crossfield – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 21185 Hwy. 574
- Stirling – Richardson Pioneer, Hwy 61, 1 mile east of Hwy 4
- Bow Island – Parrish and Heimbecker, Hwy. 3, 1 mile west of Bow Island
- Strathmore – UFA Strathmore, 58 Slater Road
- Coronation – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 36130 Range Road
- Three Hills – Kneehill Soil Services Ltd., 204 1st Ave., W
- Vulcan – Richardson Pioneer, ¼ mile west of junction Hwy. 23 & Hwy. 534
- Medicine Hat – UFA Medicine Hat, 1467 30th Street, SW
- Taber – UFA Taber, 5813 60 Ave.
- Innisfail – Central Alberta Co-op, 35435 Range Road 282
- Brooks – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 145074 Joanne Trucking Road
- High River – UFA High River, 2006 10th Ave., SE
- Iron Springs – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 100 Railway Ave.
Materials accepted in the Cleanfarms program include:
• old or unwanted agricultural pesticides (identified with a Pest Control Product number on the label), and
• livestock medications that are used in the rearing of animals in an agricultural context (identified with a DIN number, serial number or Pest Control Product number on the label.
The program will not accept:
• fertilizer, diluted solution, large quantities of unopened product, and treated seed
• needles/sharps, medicated feed, aerosol containers, premises disinfectants/sanitizers, veterinary clinic waste and medications, ear tags, and aerosols
• any other household hazardous waste.Collected materials are managed at end of useful life using the high standards established for such materials. They are disposed of safely in a high temperature incineration facility at the Swan Hills energy recovery facility in Alberta.
The program is funded by the crop protection industry and the Canadian Animal Health Institute and operated by Cleanfarms. An environmental stewardship organization, Cleanfarms works collaboratively with industry members, agricultural organizations and associations, and the government to ensure that Canadian farmers have opportunities to manage agricultural waste responsibly. Last year, Cleanfarms collected 22,832 kg of unwanted pesticides in British Columbia and 79,400 kg of unwanted pesticides in Alberta.
Following this 2018 collection, the program will return to BC's Peace River region in 2019 and to Vancouver Island and the Fraser Valley region in 2020. Cleanfarms asks that farmers store unwanted pesticides and old livestock medications safely until Cleanfarms' collection comes back to their region.
Cleanfarms was recently named one of Canada's Clean50 Best Projects, an awards program that recognizes innovation and success in environmental improvement over the past two years.