Mirza is an accomplished and visionary scientist whose practical research has invaluably impacted the greenhouse industry in Alberta.
Mirza received numerous awards and accolades during his decades of work within Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development.
As a founding member of the Alberta Greenhouse Growers Association (AGGA) and adjunct professor at the University of Alberta, he has been credited with inspiring new entrants into the industry.
In the 1980s he helped introduce soilless crop production to Alberta, an innovation that helped further built the industry.
According to one former student who was inspired by Mirza to start his own greenhouse business, “helping others succeed is his passion.”
News of the induction was greeted online with congratulations by many growers. Here’s a brief sampling.
• “Congratulations, Dr. Mirza,” said Rick van Duyvendyk of Dutch Growers in Saskatoon, “it is contributors like you that make our industry a great and innovated as it is.”
• “Very well deserved,” said Michiel Verheul of High Q Greenhouses and a past-president of the AGGA. “Congratulations.”
• “This is very prestigious,” said Debbie Foisy of Deb’s Greenhouse & U-Pick Raspberry and the current AGGA president. “Congratulations Dr. Mirza.
• “Congratulations, thank you for your expertise, kindness and vision for the Alberta Greenhouse Growers Association,” said Carol Maier of Country Road Greenhouses.
• “We’re proud of you and your contributions to the industry,” said Dr. Weizheng (John) Zhang, director, Greenhouse Branch, Crop Research and Extension Division, Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development in Brooks, Alberta.