Recent and planned upgrades aimed at modernizing our production facilities at our Juniper, New Brunswick state of the art nursery facility, are in response to recent volume increases and dedicated towards the development of improved and novel crop rotations aimed at better serving our customers, both internal and external for whom we plan to accelerate the deployment of our genetic gains to strengthen our long term competiveness. We are currently looking for a motivated individual to join the Juniper Tree Nursery team as a Senior Grower.
- As the Senior Grower, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience to lead a team of dedicated and experienced growers and irrigation specialists.
- You will ensure that crop and risk management plans are meticulously conceived, implemented and followed through.
- You are a well-organized ‘’hands on’’ person, who tackles challenges methodically and with resolve.
- You are familiar with the IPM (Integrated Pest Management) approach and capable of developing a plan accordingly.
- Your familiarity with water, fertilizer, pests and climate management in a greenhouse environment will make you a valuable resource to your team with whom you will develop a lean and continuous improvement culture.
- You will liaise closely with our Sussex nursery team on the development and scaling up of our SE (Somatic Embryogenesis) program.
- You will also be a key player in the successful establishment of a mechanized mini-plug transplanting program and defining the required cultural practices to grow them to high quality reforestation seedlings.
- You will design and develop the required trials to further the required knowledge to move the business forward.
- The successful candidate will have at a minimum a university degree in horticulture or agriculture and a minimum of 5 years’ of experience. An acceptable combination of formal training and relevant experience will also be considered.
- Experience with greenhouse production and management including the ability to coordinate and supervise operational tasks, planning, and crew supervision.
- Familiarity with budgeting and work planning processes.
- The ability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office and the ability to learn climate control systems.
- A valid driver license.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online by November 30, 2017 We appreciate your interest in our company! The initial review of applications will begin on the deadline date for applying. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here. J.D. Irving, Limited, Woodlands Division is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.