Our facilities are modern and our product line is continually expanding with the newest varieties. Because of our ongoing growth and commitment to continuous improvement, we are looking for someone to join our team in the full-time, permanent position of Pesticide Applicator and Pest Scout as part of our Integrated Pest Management (IPM) team. The Pesticide Applicator applies herbicides and pesticides to problem areas and crops throughout the year at all sites on the nursery, as necessary. An emphasis on safe and accurate application is critical. When spraying is not required, the incumbent will perform scouting and other production worker duties as needed.
1. Applying pesticides, including maintaining spray equipment. (Saturday or evening work may be required to accommodate operational requirements and ensure the safety of other nursery employees).
2. Pest scouting.
3. Assisting with budgeting and purchasing biological controls and chemicals.
4. General tasks such as potting, irrigation, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, spacing, winterizing, grading, sweeping and labeling and shipping when not busy with IPM tasks.
1. Repetitive bending and twisting.
2. Standing for long periods of time.
3. Repetitive fine motor movement with hands and fingers.
1. Employee is required to work with pesticides and plant protection production 25-30 hours per week, (or 800-1000 hours per year, as some seasons require little spraying), while wearing personal protective equipment and following established safety procedures.
2. Work outdoors in all weather conditions, year round.
3. Employee provides own raingear and gloves when necessary.
4. Steel-toed boots mandatory.
5. Van Belle Nursery is a smoke free workplace.
6. Rotate weekends and after hours work for spraying on high season as requested by the Operations Manager for irrigation and/or climate control in low season.
7. Be prepared to put in any extra hours that are required during the busy spring shipping period to ensure crops are pest free, and also to help with shipping if required.
Education and Qualifications:
1. Minimum high school diploma;
2 yr diploma or equivalent in Horticulture and Agriculture an asset.
2. Willing to have an Agricultural pesticide applicator certificate within one year of hire.
3. Valid driver’s license required. A driver’s abstract is required.
4. Forklift certification required (in-house training available)
5. Horticulture experience an asset 6. First aid training an asset.
● a positive and dynamic work environment
● a competitive salary of $20 - $25 per hour
● a company benefit package including extended health and dental coverage
● a company profit share program
● additional benefits available after 3 years + continuous employment
● 4262 Wright Street, Abbotsford, BC V2S 7Y8
● 34825 Hallert Road, Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R3
● 34819 Harris Road, Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R7
● 35388 Hallert Road, Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R2
Learn more about our company at www.vanbelle.com We thank you for your interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Pesticide Applicator and Pest ScoutDate Posted: October 20, 2017 - Date Ends: December 15, 2017
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Abbotsford, BC
- Company: Van Belle Nursery, Inc
- Fax: 604-853-6282
- Website: https://vanbelle.com/about-us/careers/
Located in Abbotsford BC, Van Belle Nursery is a leading wholesale supplier of ornamental plants to box stores in Western Canada, and growers throughout North America.
Subscription CentreNew Subscription Already a Subscriber Customer Service View Digital Magazine Renew
Growing food in hard-to-grow placesNov. 8, 2017, Ottawa – If you’ve visited or lived…
Green Industry Show returns to CalgaryNov. 15, 2017, Calgary – The Green Industry Show and…
Québec’s ‘agri-food jewel’ expandsNov. 9, 2017, Drummondville, Que. – Jacques Demers, president and CEO…
New media resource for cannabis producers debutsNov. 8, 2017, Simcoe, Ont. – The digital version Grow…
Great Lakes Growers ExpoTue Dec 05, 2017 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
Landscape Ontario's Congress'18Tue Jan 09, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
FARMS AGMFri Mar 02, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM