Greenhouse Head Grower and ManagerDate Posted: July 22, 2019 - Date Ends: December 31, 2019
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Delta, British Columbia
- Company: Westcoast Vegetables Ltd.
- Contact: Ron Van Marrewyk
- Phone: 6045054488
Westcoast Vegetables Ltd., located in Delta, British Columbia, Canada is looking for an outstanding and committed Greenhouse Head Grower and Manager to lead our 53 acres (21.5 ha) of greenhouse grown Sweet Bell Peppers.
You demonstrate and exude confidence in all your work through competency and personal integrity to produce excellence in everything you touch. This will be evident in your independent and collaborative leadership. You display professionalism, are safety conscious, accountable, motivated, goal-oriented and results driven. In this position, you'll maintain a "safety-first" mentality and have a value that our "employees are our biggest asset."
This opportunity will showcase your accountability and growing expertise in producing top-quality Sweet Bell Peppers for our customers.
• Accountable for crops from greenhouse sanitation and prep to seed through to last annual harvest.
• Develop, implement and execute growing strategies to optimize plant balance and high-quality production.
• Timely discuss IPM and crop strategies openly with independent entomologist and crop consultant, respectively.
• Review crop health, production and operations with upper management.
• Monitor and manage all greenhouse operations and its equipment.
• Execute crop trials for new varieties, including tracking and comparing results with industry standard.
• Prepare and execute annual crop schedules, budgets and purchases.
• Accountable for the department’s expectations and production goals, including co-developing, monitoring, and reviewing the Labour Managers’ weekly labour budgets to accuracy.
• Create, implement, and sustain crop processes for assistant growers and their teams to monitor and report on plant growth and balance to influence factors in production (crop work, harvesting, fertilizer, irrigation, climate).
• Encourage and ensure continuous improvement among our employees (SOPs, training videos, tool-box talks).
• Lead by example and know that your team is your biggest asset.
• Effectively communicate and coordinate with multiple departments including greenhouse, grading, maintenance and safety.
• Establish and review goals and objectives for assistant growers, supervisors and crop teams.
• Actively participate in team seminars, discussions and meetings, management meetings, employee development and health and safety committees.
• Contact and order major crop supplies.
• Follow strict food safety, and health and safety rules and regulations.
The successful applicant must have the following skills:
• Bachelors Degree in Plant Sciences or Horticulture
• Extensive experience and proven success in Sweet Bell Pepper production.
• Mechanically inclined with the willingness to get their hands dirty.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Spanish or Punjabi is an asset).
• Strong troubleshooting and analytical abilities.
• A professional, results-driven and positive ability to organize, prioritize, execute, and lead all necessary work.
• Proficiency with Priva Climate, Priva Assist and Microsoft Office software.
Subscription CentreNew Subscription Already a Subscriber Customer Service View Digital Magazine Renew
Deloitte acquires Cannabis ComplianceDeloitte has acquired Mississauga-based Cannabis Compliance Inc. (CCI).
Dehumidification technology reduces greenhouse energy consumptionHeat loss is a significant problem for greenhouse growers during…
Cost-share funding intake announced for OntarioThe next intake for the Canadian Agricultural Partnership cost-share funding…
CCFI welcomes five new board membersThe Canadian Centre for Food Integrity (CCFI) has appointed five…
Landscape Ontario CongressTue Jan 07, 2020
Tropical Plant International ExpoWed Jan 22, 2020
Guelph Organic ConferenceThu Jan 23, 2020
IPM EssenTue Jan 28, 2020