Westcoast Vegetables Ltd., located in Delta, British Columbia, is looking for an outstanding and committed Greenhouse Assistant Grower for greenhouse operations on our 18-acre, Sweet Bell Pepper greenhouse. You demonstrate and exude confidence in all your work through competency and personal integrity. This will be evident in your independent and collaborative leadership. You display professionalism, are safety conscious, motivated, goal oriented and results driven. In this position, you’ll maintain a “safety-first” mentality and have a great appreciation that “your employees are your biggest assets.” You work beside – and sometimes between – the Head Grower and your employees to ensure the department consistently produces top-quality Sweet Bell Peppers.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Crop duties:
• Collaborate for crops from greenhouse sanitation and prep to seed through to last annual harvest.
• Assist with growing strategies to optimize plant balance and high-quality production.
• Timely discuss IPM and crop strategies openly with Head Grower.
• Review crop health, production and operations with Head Grower.
• Monitor quality and effectiveness of greenhouse operations and its equipment, report if necessary.
• Harvest crop trials for new varieties, including tracking and comparing results.
• Assess and sustain crop processes for crop teams ensuring the successful monitoring of plant growth and balance to influence factors in production (crop work, harvesting, fertilizer, irrigation, climate).
• Encourage and ensure continuous improvement among our employees (SOPs, training videos, tool-box talks). Assistant Managers duties:
• Lead by example and know that your team is your biggest asset.
• Effectively communicate and coordinate with multiple departments including greenhouse, maintenance and safety.
• Establish and review goals and objectives with upper management and Head Grower.
• Actively participate in team seminars, discussions and meetings, management meetings, employee development and health and safety committees.
• Follow strict food safety, and health and safety rules and regulations.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must have:
• A background in greenhouse operation through schooling and work experience.
• Exceptional people skills. A true motivator with a passion to help staff feel appreciated and valued.
• The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (Spanish or Punjabi is an asset).
• A relentless passion to solve both human and operational issues.
• Highly organized and self-motivated in efficiently prioritizing the workload of others and oneself.
We offer the ability to work on a great team, freedom to succeed and grow, a competitive salary, bonus and benefits – and all in the scenic landscapes and welcoming community of Delta, B.C. This fourth-generation family farm was founded in 1999. Westcoast Vegetables Ltd. grows and packages 54 acres (22 ha) of sweet bell peppers in Delta, BC. We use the latest technology in growing and packaging to ensure the highest quality to our customers. If this sounds like a fit, we’d like to hear from you.
Greeenhouse Assistant GrowerDate Posted: August 14, 2019 - Date Ends: September 09, 2019
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: 3900 46a St, Delta, BC V4K 3N2
- Company: Westcoast Vegetables Ltd.
- Contact: Ron Van Marrewyk
Subscription CentreNew Subscription Already a Subscriber Customer Service View Digital Magazine Renew
Nominees for cannabis awards announcedGrow Up Conference and Expo has announced nominees for its…
Funding call for local food projectsYesterday, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Marie-Claude Bibeau, along with…
Managing Botrytis: A serious disease in greenhouse lettuceCloudy and rainy weather during the past months has resulted…
LP to reduce energy costs with new LEDsCrop LED lighting provider, Fluence Bioengineering (Fluence), has announced its…
Plug and Cutting ConferenceWed Sep 04, 2019
Salon du VégétaleTue Sep 10, 2019
GleeTue Sep 10, 2019 @ 8:00am - 05:00pm
SAF ConferenceWed Sep 18, 2019
CIB SymposiumTue Sep 24, 2019
CanWestWed Sep 25, 2019