Floriculture SpecialistDate Posted: November 08, 2018 - Date Ends: December 31, 2018
- Job Type: Other
- Location: Nepal
- Company: WUSC/CECI - Uniterra Program
- Contact: Kendra Stapleton
- Website: http://agora.ceci.ca/SGC/cecproje.nsf/va_WPO/ED6D4BAAC4F633C4852582DB005D9D58?OpenDocument&lg=enok
Floriculture Specialist, 12 months, Nepal
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS) Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
PARTNER: Amargadhi Municipality LOCATION: NEPAL , Dadeldhura, Nepal
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled. The expected start date and duration are flexible and subject to change. The departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Please note that we are currently recruiting for Fall 2018 assignments
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC). Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Amargadhi Municipality is located in the far-western Region in the Dadeldhura district of Nepal. With several historical places and popular temples, the Amargadhi Municipality is one of the most important tourism destinations of Nepal. Agriculture and business are the main sources of employment for the people in the Municipality. The municipality has high potential for floriculture. So far the farmers are growing flowering plants without any technical support. The municipality plans to establish three flower nurseries and use it as a demonstration area as well as produce seeds and seedlings for the market. In this context, the municipality is looking for a floriculture specialist who will transfer new technology to the farmers and help establish three nurseries in the municipality.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide guidance on preparing a detailed business plan for a flower nursery;
- Provide guidance on conducting a feasibility study for site selection;
- Provide guidance on technical backstopping;
- Ensure participation of women and youth in all the activities; and
- Prepare reports required by Uniterra and the partner organization.
- University degree in agriculture, floriculture or related field.
- Professional Experience: At least 3 years’ working experience in floriculture and nursery management
- Respect for a different work culture, flexible and adaptable in a cross cultural environment/rural setting
- Patient, tolerance to ambiguity - Ability to focus both on results and process
- Openness to learning
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY: http://agora.ceci.ca/SGC/cecproje.nsf/va_WPO/ED6D4BAAC4F633C4852582DB005D9D58?OpenDocument&lg=enok
Subscription CentreNew Subscription Already a Subscriber Customer Service View Digital Magazine Renew
Partial carbon tax relief for greenhousesLast week, the Government of Canada announced a federal carbon-pricing…
4 key differences between a cannabis greenhouse and an ornamental greenhouseWhen the legal industry began to emerge, indoor cannabis grow…
KPU secures major funding for hort researchA search for natural alternatives to pesticides is one of…
Salmonella outbreak linked to cucumbersPublic health officials in five provinces are investigating a salmonella…
Expo FIHOQ 2018Wed Nov 14, 2018 @ 8:00am - 05:00pm
Green Industry Show 2018Thu Nov 15, 2018
Poinsettia Open HouseTue Nov 20, 2018 @10:00am - 02:30pm
Farm Energy WorkshopSat Nov 24, 2018
HortEastTue Nov 27, 2018
Great Lakes Expo 2018Tue Dec 04, 2018 @ 8:00am - 05:00pm