As the Assistant Grower, you ensure that the nursery’s production program meets or exceeds Van Belle Nursery’s customer driven production goals, while leading your team in a way that fosters their professional development.
Reporting to an Operations Manager, you will be responsible to:
- Manage all production activities, including overseeing and coordinating the daily activities of the production team assigned to you;
- Manage all aspects of the production process like greenhouse management, climate control, IPM, crop maintenance, quality control and inventory management;
- Ensure tasks are assigned efficiently, productivity objectives are met, and safety standards are maintained;
- maintain a hands on approach, leading by example;
- flex to other areas in the nursery during the slow season;
- Be available to work extended hours during seasonal demands from March through July;
- Budget, track and forecast all assigned accounts
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree or education leading to a horticulture or floriculture fields;
- Minimum 3 years experience in ornamental or nursery industry (floriculture/horticulture);
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience;
- Must be team and goal oriented;
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, multilingual and multicultural environment;
- Must have strong communication skills, strong organizational skills accompanied with attention to detail;
- Must be willing to have a certified pesticide applicator license within one year of hire date;
- Fluent in spoken and written English; Spanish is an asset.
- Be prepared to work additional hours as required;
- Employees provide own rain gear, work gloves and steel-toed footwear (per OHS 8.2);
- agree to follow and demonstrate the company's core values;
- Work in adverse weather conditions and be physically able to meet demands such as standing for long periods of time, repetitive bending, twisting and pulling;
- Van Belle Nursery is a smoke free workplace.
- a positive and dynamic work environment;
- a competitive salary of $22 - $25 per hour, based on qualifications and experience;
- a company benefit package including extended health and dental coverage;
- a company profit share program;
- additional benefits available after 3 years + continuous employment.
- 34825 Hallert Road, Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R3
- 4262 Wright St, Abbotsford, BC V2S 7Y8
If you are looking for new challenges and a place to grow your career, we would love to hear from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter, including your salary expectations to our Human Resources Administrator.
Applications may be submitted as follows:
- fax to: 604-853-6282
- in person to Van Belle Nursery head office: 34825 Hallert Road, Abbotsford, BC V3G 1R3
Learn more about our company at www.vanbelle.com
We thank you for your interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.