Assistant GrowerDate Posted: June 12, 2018 - Date Ends: July 31, 2018
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Kingsville, ON
- Company: Mastron Enterprises Ltd.
- Phone: 519-712-1197
- Fax: 519-326-0270
- Website: http://www.sunsetgrown.com
This individual will conduct research, work and support the Senior Grower and the production supervisors daily to ensure that all the greenhouse crop needs are supplied; that both quantity and quality product is produced, while keeping the costs in mind at all times.
• Assist with growing produce commodities in a large section in the greenhouse
• Working with the Labour Manager, plan and direct the crop work. Ensure that all work is done on time and with the quality required.
• Working with the IPM Pest Scout, share responsibility for pest and disease control. Monitor pests, pollination.
• Assist with fertilization, irrigation and climate control needs (computer-managed actions).
• Crop and climate registration and interpretation of measured data.
• Availability for night and weekend duty (from remote site) to monitor alarms set by plant
• Assist with ensuring management plans/intentions on plant health are implemented in a timely manner
• Perform/track soil, water, disease tests as needed
• Ensuring product orders for scouting purposes are placed on time
• A passion for growing agriculture commodities
• Capacity to be a flexible and enthusiastic team player
• Must reside in relatively close proximity to the facility
• Pesticide License or Assistant’s License
• Knowledgeable of horticultural pests and disease identification
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Work independently with minimal supervision
• Experience in greenhouse growing industry an asset
• Greenhouse environment where the temperature may reach 37°C and background noise approaches 70 dcbs.
• Position requires sitting, standing, and walking on a regular basis for prolonged periods
• Visual and audio sensory are needed regularly
• Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills, and operate equipment
• Continuous interaction with various departments and colleagues
• Hours largely driven by the need to care for living growth systems that cannot be compromised
Please note: Mastron Enterprises Ltd. has accommodation processes and policies in place and provides accommodation for employees with disabilities.
If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or documented medical need, please contact the Human Resource office so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodation to be put into place.
Subscription CentreNew Subscription Already a Subscriber Customer Service View Digital Magazine Renew
Water and nutrient uptake: An overview and irrigation strategyFor plants to grow optimally, adequate nutrients and water uptake…
Dehumidification – the silver bullet to energy costs?Every cold-climate greenhouse grower experiences it – it’s cold outside,…
Garden centres in AB not allowed cannabis seedsSome garden centres in Alberta say they’re disappointed that the…
Greenhouse Asian eggplant resource onlineVineland launched the Feeding Diversity microsite earlier this year. Compiled…
Sawaya Garden TrialsThu Jul 26, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
PPA Symposium 2018Mon Jul 30, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
ASHS Conference 2018Tue Jul 31, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
IGC 2018Tue Aug 14, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
FarWest Show 2018Wed Aug 22, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
Colours of the Summer Open HouseWed Aug 22, 2018 @ 1:00PM - 03:00PM