"The greenhouse's squatness gives it an unusual appearance. A commercial glasshouse would normally be three metres taller to give a thermal buffer, but in this instance the curvature and deliberate low profile of the building actually help maintain the desired environments."
Efficient facility features include:
- A design that minimizes structures that can block incoming light
- Insulating polycarbonate to reduce the heating demand
- A heating system that can recover waste heat from the university's combined heat and power plant
- Fan coils around the internal perimeter of the structure to help maintain the desired temperatures
- A building management system that monitors internal conditions and can automatically regulate conditions if set parameters are exceeded
Click here to read the full article.