CNLA brings back National Plastics Recycling Event
May 28, 2013 By Canadian Garden Centre & Nursery
May 28, 2013, Milton, ON — Twenty-six members of the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association have pledged their support for the annual National Plastics Recycling Event.
The drive launched in 2010, when just six garden centres collected more than 53,000 pounds of plastic. Last year, garden centres from coast to coast collected a whopping 91,228 pounds, reflecting the growing popularity of the program.
This year's event runs June 21 to July 1.
“Participating in the National Plastics Recycling Event has helped bring awareness to our customers and staff about the importance of good stewardship,” said Anthony O’Neill of O’Neill’s Gardenland in Spaniard’s Bay, Nfld., and chair of Garden Centres Canada. “Customers see the environmental benefits that come from planting trees, shrubs and flowers each season. By returning their plastics to their local independent garden centre, they can help to keep that plastic from reaching landfills and have a net-positive environmental impact.”
Collecting garden plastics for recycling isn’t as easy as it sounds. Customers often bring an assortment of flowerpots back to participating nurseries, hoping that they can be replanted. Returns may be declined in an effort to control the spread of serious plant pests and disease, unless centres have made arrangements with a professional recycler that will help ensure proper sterilization of the plastics before they are reused.
Processors who recycle soil laden soil-laden pots are few, but a number of recycling partners across the country have stepped up to work with independent garden centres to offer recycling opportunities during the event.
Gardeners are encouraged to bring clean, dry garden plastics to one of the following garden centre depots during the National Plastics Recycling Event:
- Amsterdam Greenhouses & Garden Centre (Pitt Meadows)
- David Hunter Garden Centers (Surry and Vancouver)
- Phoenix Perennials (Richmond)
- Port Kells Nurseries (Surrey)
- Greenland Garden Centre (Sherwood Park)
- Kiwi Nurseries Ltd. (Spruce Grove)
- C&S Country Gardens (Lorette)
- Lacoste Garden Centre (Winnipeg)
- Lasting Impressions Garden Centre (The Pas)
- Little Tree Garden Market (Fergus)
- Make it Green Garden Centre (Ottawa)
- Richmond Nursery (Richmond)
- Sheridan Nurseries (Unionville, Toronto, Mississauga at Southdown and Burnhamthorpe, Kitchener, Scarborough, North York, Georgetown and Whitby)
- Sipkens Nurseries, Wyoming
- Sunshine Express Garden Centre (Niagara-On-The-Lake)
- Walter’s Greenhouses & Garden Centre (Brant)
- Oceanview Garden Centre (Chester)
- O’Neill’s Gardenland (Spaniard’s Bay)
For more information about the National Plastics Recycling Event, visit www.cnla-acpp.ca/RecyclingDropOff.
Print this page