Head Grower – Lufa Farms
Posted on July 5, 2022
The Head Grower oversees the production and implementation of cultivation strategies in coordination with the Plant Science manager. They develop and coordinate overall cultivation methods and evaluations, biological control strategies, and production assessments. The Head Grower meets with consultants and contacts specialists for cultivation recommendations. They also plan, manage, and oversee Research and Development and trials, under the supervision of the Plant Science Manager.
– Supervise assistant growers;
– Supervise all plant science activities, such as data gathering for climate, irrigation, scouting (e.g. crop changes), forecasting, and merchandising;
– In the interest of quality and time efficiency, following best practices.
– Train assistant growers and ensure task quality is maintained and efficiency improves. Responsible for their development within the role;
– Regularly inspect greenhouses for plant health and site performance.
– Perform HR activities for assistant growers in conjunction with management, including hiring, firing, and team member reviews;
– Schedule regular check-ins and evaluations with the team to assess performance and maintain motivation.
– Biocontrols: Manage biological control programs, including data analysis, introduction scheduling, and requirements, as well as overall annual planning and budget tracking;
– Manage and monitor climate requirements and settings for all crops, including Argus checks and setpoints;
– Manage and monitor irrigation requirements and settings for all systems, including Argus checks and setpoints;
– Manage and monitor stock solution formulations and recirculation, including stock preparation;
– Perform crop inspections, gather necessary growth data, and establish plant maintenance methods and overall cultivation strategy, with the Plant Science and Operations teams;
– Manage crop schedule, crop changes, seed and plant orders, propagation, and planting specs as required;
– Responsible for assessing production, estimating and reporting harvest quantities and inventory;
Research and Development:
– Execute annual projects and trial outlines, including experimental design and documentation. Conduct and manage research projects and trials. Own and analyze data from projects and trials;
– Investigate and improve current cultivation strategies and annual crop requirements;
– Help the Plant Science Manager with merchandising duties, as required (occasionally on weekends);
– Support and implement upper management recommendations;
Ultimately, through all of the above objectives, your main responsibility is to maximize yield and revenues from the site.
– At least three years of experience growing commercially in hydroponic greenhouses;
– At least two years of experience managing a team;
– Strong communication skills in both French and English;
– Highly organized and detail-oriented;
– Great work ethic and flexibility;
– Capable of walking, bending, and lifting for extended periods in a hot and humid environment;
– You must own a car and have a valid driver’s license.
– Post-secondary degree or diploma in horticulture or plant science.
– You’ll be eligible to participate in the firm’s health insurance, dental and disability programs after completion of the probationary period (paid 50% by the employee and 50% by Lufa Farms);
– Access to TELUS Health Virtual Care (direct contact to health professionals by phone, video, or chat) and the Employee and Family Assistance Program (professional, short-term counselling, covering a broad range of interpersonal issues);
– Discount on your Lufa Farms basket.