May 11, 2015 By Dave Harrison
May 11, 2015, Guelph, Ont. – Ontario farmers and food partners and are planning a celebration early next month, and they’re asking consumers to join in.
The week of June 1-7 is Local Food Week in Ontario, with farmers, farm organizations, agribusinesses and government partners hosting events across the province.
Local Food Week gives Ontarians a chance to put a spotlight on the wide variety of local foods and beverages available year-round. The celebration will focus on those who grow, produce, harvest, buy and sell it.
Whether at roadside farm stands and farm markets during the summer or at food retailers throughout the year, buying local has never been easier or more delicious.
Local Food Week is an excellent way to bring together the farmers who produce our food, the retailers who sell it, the restaurants who prepare it and those who enjoy it every day. Here are a variety of ways consumers can join the Local Food Week celebrations:
• Host your own local food feast or barbecue with friends and family, with an entirely locally sourced menu.
• On June 3 at 8 p.m. EST, join the #loveONTfood Twitter party with farmers and foodies and celebrate all of Ontario’s great foods and beverages.
• Share your love of local food on social media using the #loveONTfood hashtag.
• Support your local farmers by choosing Ontario products all year long.
• Tour a farm virtually or find out more about how your food is produced by visiting www.farmfoodcare.org.
Visit www.loveontfood.ca for great resources and ideas on how to join in on the Local Food celebrations.
Farm & Food Care Ontario is a coalition of farmers, agriculture and food partners working together to ensure public trust and confidence in food and farming.
Print this page