CanWest Hort Expo on hold indefinitely
April 4, 2020 By BC Landscape and Nursery Association
The 2020 CanWest Hort Expo, originally scheduled for Sept 30 and Oct 1 at Tradex, Abbotsford, has been put on hold indefinitely.
Announced by show organizer BC Landscape and Nursery Association (BCLNA) yesterday, the Board of Directors met last week to discuss the implications COVID-19 has on BC’s horticulture industry and the longer-term impact it may have on nursery and greenhouse growers, garden centres and landscapers. Mike Mills, BCLNA Chair states, “Although CanWest may be six months away, there are too many unknowns that present a financial risk to the BCLNA in hosting this year’s show.”
These unknowns include:
- the financial ability of companies to purchase booth space or send staff to walk the show and attend seminars;
- the international travel restrictions that may still be in place that prevent international speakers, exhibitors and attendees from getting to the show;
- the social safety measures that could still be in place including ‘size of gatherings’ and ‘physical distancing’ restricting our access to Tradex, and to each other.
Mills adds, “It is through these extensive discussions, and the unknowns presented, the BCLNA Board has decided to place the 2020 CanWest Hort Expo on hold indefinitely.”
Cable Baker, CanWest Chair says, “We need to get a better sense of how our world will be once COVID-19 is conquered.” Baker adds, “Please know that our thoughts are with all of you during this unprecedented time for your families and your businesses.”
Print this page
- SAWP workers arrive in Ontario, with more on the way
- WALI provides updates on first charter flight from Mexico