The report also compiled 15 top key insights:
1. Annually, people gave birthday gifts the most often and spent the most money on birthday gifts. However, many participants felt plants/cut flowers were not as suitable for birthdays as other gifts.
- There is great potential to enlarge the flower market through educating consumers about the suitability of floral gifts for occasions such as birthdays.
- Pair cut flowers and plants with perceived suitable gifts such as CD/DVD/books or gift cards can attract more consumers.
- Promote and label flowers whose longevity exceeds people‘s expectations.
- Labeling longevity of different cut flowers gives consumers reasonable expectations which can alleviate consumer post-purchase disappointment.
- Provide labels of care instructions or tips at purchase to help consumers increase flower longevity.
- Frequent buyer clubs or punch cards, first time purchaser discounts, free filler, greens or vases, or free delivery within X miles, all offer a way for florists to increase consumer visits and purchases.
- Pricing floral gifts under spending limits can increase consumers‘
likelihood of purchasing them as gifts and enlarge the market.
- Year round advertisements of flowers can educate consumers that flowers are NOT just for big holiday occasions.
- Advertise cut flowers and plants as gifts to the target market with the most effective and efficient mode of advertising: for 18-30 year olds, advertise online, YouTube, Facebook and sidewalk signs, for 31-40 year olds, advertise on radio, billboards, online and company vehicles, for 41-50, advertise primarily on radio, in magazines and newspapers.
- To expose the company/product to the maximum number of people, television commercials or internet ads are the best. However, many people ignore commercials and internet pop-ups due to focusing on specific shows/searches.
- Add humor to improve notice and memory.
- Develop attractive in store displays and exhibit them at different stores.
- Create word of mouth that floral gifts are wonderful gifts for any occasion.
- Not many consumers, especially young consumers, have a lot of
experience with cut flowers/plants. Provide information sheets/labels of
meanings, symbolism and histories at purchase or online. Educational
advertisements are useful as well.
- Promote cut flowers as a low risk gift. Have information on
meanings available to help reassure customers of the message they want
- Advertise and stand behind the quality, offer many colors at reasonable prices, have fragrant/unique flowers available, have easy care instructions, and have the flowers/plants in attractive/unique/fashionable packaging. All of these actions will improve customer loyalty and increase sales.
- The industry can develop vases that are disposable, biodegradable,
returnable or recyclable or give a ―bring your own vase‖ option.
- Improve local florists‘ websites‘ professionalism, speed and photos to increase use and convenience.
- Offer free shipping within X miles of the store on internet purchases.
- Have easy to follow directions, hours, and contact information to decrease customer frustration.
- Create a quality assurance plan.
- Take a digital photo and e-mail it to the giver prior to delivery.
- Promote flowers as a great year around gifts.
- Market cut flowers and plants as suitable gifts that are enjoyed by younger consumers.
- Promote their benefits of mood enhancement and bringing cheer.
- Give consumers the ability to personalize their floral gift through unique packaging, vases, and pairing them with other gifts.
- Help young consumers reach outside their comfort zone (using only roses) and discover different types of flowers that express their personalities better.