But in fact, Twitter can be a great sales tool for almost any retail business. Here are five tips for using Twitter to increase your retail sales:
- Place a Twitter link on your website and in all your promotional material with an incentive to follow you (i.e. daily specials, exclusive offers, coupons, etc.).
- Be picky as to who you follow back. Following back some customers but not others can lead to resentment, so stick to manufacturers, associations and industry insiders.
- Schedule tweets throughout the day. Use a free Twitter tool like HootSuite or TweetDeck to manage your account activity.
- Keep it strictly business. Don't tweet about your personal stuff or anything that could dilute your message or negatively influence your image.
- Keep the conversation going. Thank people for following, ask opinions, respond to comments, answer questions and use your Twitter account as a customer service tool.