Here are five tips to keep in mind when searching the web for that ideal image:
- Don't pull photos from other sites or from search engine results. Many of these images are copyright protected. Using them can result in legal action being taken against you.
- For free images, make sure the site specifies that they are free to use as you wish. A great resource is Microsoft Design Gallery.
- Free clipart photos are usually low resolution (72 dpi), making them ideal for the web, but not for print (300 dpi).
- Almost all images downloaded will be RGB colour formatted. That means they can be used only on the web or printed on your home printer. For professional printing, you will need images formatted to CMYK. There are websites that will do this for free, or you can use any popular image editing software.
- When purchasing stock images from a website, make sure you purchase the right size for your use. Small images will look grainy when enlarged.