Here are five tricks to make cold calling less stressful and more productive:
- Have the mindset that they will never buy from you. This will release you of the pressure of having to make the sale.
- Find out who the key decision maker is. Don't waste your time making your pitch to junior employees, receptionists or people in the wrong department.
- Don't start the conversation by asking how a person is doing. They're busy and don't have time for small talk with strangers. Cut to the chase as to why you're calling.
- Set the bar low. Don't try to close the sale. Instead ask for a meeting. If that doesn't work, ask if you can send them some information, then follow up later.
- Name drop if you can. Mention a colleague you both know or an association you both belong to. This will help build rapport and warm the call.