|Alberta Greenhouse Growers Association booth in the trade show.
There are a number of sector-specific workshops, all individually priced and each lasting about four hours. Included will be:
- Landscape Contractor – Marketing and Growing Your Business for Increased Profit.Leading this session is consultant Jeffrey Scott, author of The Referral Advantage.
- Garden Centres – How Successful Garden Centres are Adjusting to the New Reality in Retailing. This workshop is headed by internationally renowned garden centre consultant Ian Baldwin.
- Greenhouse Ornamentals – Biological Control for Ornamental Production. Dr. Ken Fry, coordinator for the environmental horticulture program and entomology instructor in the School of Horticulture at Olds College, will lead this session. Assisting will be Don Elliott of Applied Bio-nomics Ltd. and Paul Leblanc of Koppert Biological Systems.
- Nursery – Production Practices for Nursery Growers. Speakers include renowned nursery production specialists Dr. Hannah Mathers and Dr. Bob Bors.
- Landscape & Lawn Services – Integrated Pest Management. Heading this workshop is Dr. Len Ritter, executive director with the Canadian Network of Toxicology Centre and a professor of toxicology in the school of environmental sciences at the University of Guelph. Assisting will be Lindsay Hanson, a regulatory toxicologist with the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (“Federal Pesticide Regulation in Canada”); Jim Ross, executive director with the Prairie Turfgrass Research Centre at Olds College (“Alternative Weed Control Research”); and Nigel Bowles, executive director with Landscape Alberta (“A Reasoned Approach to Pest Control”).
- Greenhouse Vegetables – Integrating Plant Requirements for Higher Production. Leading the session is Peter Klapwijk, a consultant with Green Q in the Netherlands.
|A display of Alberta greenhouse produce.
Friday’s program (Nov. 19) features seven general seminar sessions.
- Diagnosing Plant & Business Problems – Industry consultant Dr. Mohyuddin Mirza and Nabi Chaudhary of Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Favourite and New Plants for the Prairies – Gerard Fournier, owner of For Trees Company and Bill Sutton of Bailey Nurseries.
- Alberta Greenhouse Industry Profile – Dr. Mohyuddin Mirza and Nabi Chaudhary.
- What’s New in the World of Perennials? – John Schroeder, founder of Valleybrook Gardens Ltd.
- Top Performers in the Raker Trial Gardens – Allen Pyle, perennials product support leader with Raker.
- What Makes Teams Tick? – Corporate trainer and facilitator Fern Richardson.
- Principles of Perennial Production: ATD is the Key – Allen Pyle.
The annual dinner and awards banquet of the Alberta Greenhouse Growers Association will be held Nov. 18 at the Edmonton EXPO Centre at Northlands. Pre-registration is required.
Full conference and registration information is available at www.greenindustryshow.com or 800-378-3198.