Greenhouse Canada

News
Burpee tool reveals top container trends


November 20, 2012
By Canadian Garden Centre & Nursery

Nov. 20, 2012, West Chicago, IL — This gardening season, consumers created more than 6,100 mixed containers using Burpee Home Gardens’ My Garden Designer mobile design tool.

Launched in the spring, the tool creates container and flowerbed planograms for home gardeners. Through quick selections on colour, gardeners create “filler,” “spiller,” and “thriller” arrangements. The tool also suggests multiple designs and theme arrangements, creates a plant shopping list, and includes a where-to-buy store search.

The mobile tool also serves an important function for retailers, revealing consumer trends and preferences for gardening habits, colour choices and variety selection.

Advertisement

“The intelligence we’ve gathered from our first full year of gardeners designing with the My Garden Designer tool has been fascinating to monitor,” said Diane Hund, director of marketing for Burpee Home Gardens. “We’re passing along this insight to the industry. Burpee Home Gardens growers and retailers now have a glimpse into what’s hot in the marketplace.”

In 2012, the top three mixed variety designs selected by home gardeners were:

  • Begonia Dragon Wing Pink, N.G. Impatiens Celebrette Grape Crush and Dichondra Silver Falls
  • Coleus Henna, Calibrachoa Isabells Yellow and Petunia Suncatcher Midnight Blue
  • Snapdragon Snapshot PlumBlossom, Alyssum Clear Crystal Purple Shades and Petunia Pop Rocks White

My Garden Designer also revealed top colour-combo choices:

  • White, pink and purple
  • Cream, pink and green
  • White, red and green

While designing containers is a growing category, more than half of the designs were selected for in-ground garden bed applications (52 per cent). In-ground just edged out containers (48 per cent), but there was no surprise when it came to sun versus shade. Most gardeners designed for full-sun applications (68 per cent) with shade containers accounting for the remainder (32 per cent).

“My Garden Designer takes the guesswork out of creating mixed combinations, and allows gardeners to explore custom designs,” said Hund. “Container gardeners are now equipped with a design tool at their fingertips, and the industry can place its finger on the market’s pulse,”

To trial My Garden Designer and Burpee Home Gardens other mobile web tools, visit the demonstration page http://m.ballhort.com/bst.


Print this page

Related



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*