April 11, 2016, Guelph, Ont. — Ontario has recognized 65 food retailers at this year’s Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards for their new ideas and innovative in-store promotions that help Ontario consumers recognize and buy more locally grown food.
The annual Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards are the produce industry’s premier competition for excellence in retail display and promotion in support of local Ontario foods. Click on image for more information.
• Metro, on Lakeshore Road in Mississauga.
• Metro, on Front Street in Orillia.
• Metro, at Eglinton Square in Scarborough.
• Sobeys, on Ira Needles Boulevard in Kitchener.
A pair of retailers were recognized for their displays of greenhouse produce.
• Morello’s Your Independent Grocer in Peterborough received a gold award for its ‘Seasonal Greenhouse’ display.
• Food Basics in Elmira received a gold award for its ‘Creative Greenhouse’ display.
“Buying local food not only provides families with healthy and delicious options, but creates jobs and economic growth in communities across the province,” notes Jeff Leal, minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs.
“I applaud grocery retailers for looking at innovative ways to connect consumers with their food and the people who grow it so they have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the good things grown in Ontario.”
Print this page