AAS announces additional winners
November 12, 2013 By Canadian Garden Centre & Nursery
Nov. 12, 2013, Downers Grove, IL — For the first time, All-America Selections has recognized regional performance by naming five regional winners.
The following plants were recognized as AAS Regional Winners:
- Penstemon 'Arabesque Red' F1 (Heartland, Mountain/Southwest and West/Northwest)
- Sunflower 'Suntastic' F1 (Great Lakes)
- Cucumber 'Pick a Bushel' F1 (Heartland and Great Lakes)
- Pumpkin 'Cinderella's Carriage' F1 (Southeast, Great Lakes and Mountain/Southwest)
- Tomato 'Mountain Merit' F1 (Heartland)
These plants were recognized in addition to entries that did well in a majority of regions and, as such, were designated as traditional national winners. The national winners were:
- Petunia 'African Sunset' F1
- Pepper 'Mama Mia Giallo' F1
- Tomato 'Chef's Choice Orange' F1
- Tomato 'Fantastico' F1
All winners were trialed next to similar varieties currently on the market. The AAS judges did a side-by-side analysis of growth habit, disease resistance and more to determine if entries were really better than those already available to home gardeners. Only those flower entries with superior garden performance or the vegetables with superior taste and garden performance are given the AAS stamp of approval.
Print this page