Each year, the AHS recognizes outstanding gardening books published in North America. Books are judged by the AHS Book Award committee on qualities such as writing style, authority, originality, accuracy, and design quality.
This year’s five recipients, published in 2011, are:
- The Holistic Orchard by Michael Phillips (Chelsea Green Publishing)
- Putting Down Roots by Marcia C. Carmichael (Wisconsin Historical Society Press)
- Small Green Roofs by Nigel Dunnett, Dusty Gedge, John Little, & Edmund C. Snodgrass (Timber Press)
- Writing the Garden by Elizabeth Barlow Rogers (David R. Godine, Publisher)
- The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour (Storey Publishing)
- Fiona Gilsenan, freelance garden writer and book editor based in the Pacific Northwest
- Brandy Kuhl, head librarian at the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture in San Francisco
- Kathy LaLiberte, a Vermont-based marketing consultant and garden writer previously with Gardener’s Supply
- Rand B. Lee, a freelance writer and editor specializing in southwest gardening, plant history, and cottage garden design
- W. Gary Smith, an award-winning garden designer and author in Toronto
- Greg Williams, producer of the HortIdeas newsletter in Gravel Switch, Ky.